EXCUSES DON'T BURN CALORIES

"Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dreams closer. "

BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Officially training for a FULL MARATHON!

I am NOW officially training for a FULL MARATHON! I just completed my 3rd half marathon on Saturday in Memphis and it was GREAT!! It was so much fun and the route was VERY scenic. There were 6 of us that stuck together so we chatted the whole way and it made the time pass by really fast.

What a pleasure it was to complete it with 2 people (a husband and a wife) that this was their first 1/2 marathon. What an amazing accomplishement for them and to experience it with them was an unforgetable experience.

So now I will run 4 days a week, 3 short runs of 3-5 miles and one long run anywhere from 10-20 miles. Getting in the 4 days a week is going to be my biggest challenge. I have to MAKE it happen. I WILL NOT go into this marathon un prepared. My heart will get me through it b/c I have trained my cardivascular system to withstand the long endurance distances. So no problem there. Over time my legs and feet should be ready b/c of the training I will be doing. The only thing that might get in my way from time to time will be my MIND!! It really crazy what a mental battle this is with yourself. Running anything beyond 13 miles at this point just seems so difficult b/c that is the farthest distance I have gone so far. I have to take this just one week at a time. Looking at the overall picture is just to overwhelming for me right now.

Here is my plan for this week:

Tuesday - 4 mile run
Wednesday - 4 mile run
Thursday - 3 mile run
Friday - off
Saturday - 14 mile run
Sunday - off

Each of these nights I will spend 10 minutes before bed stretching. A friend from PNP that I met in Memphis shared the importance of stretching and shared some good stretches for runners so I am going to do that. Also, 3 days a week I will do some pushups, planks, supermans and this other lower back strengthening exercise. I really should be doing some upper body ST but I am just not certain I will get it in so I will do these few basic exercises to keep my upper body and core strong enough to complete the race.

Stay tuned for the next 14 weeks. I will keep you updated on my continued progress or lack there of.

2 comments:

The Running Knitter said...

Congrats on another great half! Good luck on your training. What race will you be running?

Brandi said...

Woo Whoo! Congrats on the half and now onto the full!! I have been so off from being sick but I'm back on schedule! Good luck with the training! I swear its like a part-time job!