Sickness and running

I was a tad under the weather on Sunday afternoon and Monday with some achiness, weakness and chills but I never had a fever. YEA. I seem to be on the mend today so hopefully I will continue this trend and be back to 100% by Thursday. My kids, Mom and Dad and husband all got a stomach bug and I am thinking my body might have been fighting it. Let's hope that is what it was at least and I beat it down and I am moving on.

The dang brief illness did put a hinge in my consistent exercise but such is life and I am fine with it. I had a GREAT workout on Saturday and Sunday and then I took Monday off. I was back up this morning taking it easy on the treadmill for 30 minutes though. I felt good enough to do that and my mind was glad I did it too.

Oh, speaking of exercising on Sunday. It was such nice weather that towards the end of my workout inside I said to myself "what I am doing in here?" I decided to hit the neighborhood for a mile run. IT WAS GREAT!! The weather was PERFECT and I felt so good getting out there for a good run. No dogs harrased me either which was bonus.

One of the biggest things I noticed was my weight. Last year (it was 1 year ago by the way almost to the date) when I ran the full marathon I weighed in at 158. Today I weigh in at 135ish and the difference in those 23 pounds and running is AMAZING!!!! WOW!! I was so shocked. It has been almost a year ( I know this is hard to believe) that I have gotten out and ran any sort of distance outside. I do run on the TM some at home but it is more walking at inclines and running here and there and upping and lowering the speed. It is a different feeling running outside and I can tell the difference in it now and I LOVE IT! It was just easier. This is not to say that you can't run/walk a marathon at any weight. You see ALL shapes and sizes on the course, trust me. I can assure you though that if you have the opportunity to drop a few pounds of fat before you start training it will greatly benefit you.

Comments

Becca said…
Wow Dawn, 20+ lbs in a year!! You are doing great!! Your body probably totally felt the difference! I know mine does, even when I fluxuate just 10 lbs or so for a contest!

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!
Anonymous said…
I was feeling the same way, although I did have a fever! Boooo! But, now I'm on the mend and should feel 100% better by tomorrow too! Yay!

I love running outside - it feels so free-ing! I'm glad you got out there and enjoyed that beautiful weather!
Tim Staggs said…
Awesome job. Keep up the hard work.
April said…
Boo to sickness! It was so pretty outside yesterday and I didn't even get to enjoy it.

Popular Posts