Runnin' for the weekend

It is going to warm up outside this weekend and I am doing my longer run outside!! I can't wait. I plan to do 4.5 - 5 miles. Just depends on when I get the 4.5 done if I feel like going that extra 1/2 mile.

My run on Wednesday at the gym was my best run in a long time. I did 3 miles in 31:30 which is at a 10:30 mile pace. I only try for a good time when I do my shorter runs b/c I try to push myself just a little harder on those runs. When I do my longer runs I go at a much slower pace so I can make it the entire time. I was running for about a 1/2 mile then stopping and walking for a minute but I didn't have any order to it really just run for a bit then walk for a bit well Wednesday night on the treadmill I did the 4:1 intervall training where I run for 4 minutes then walk for 1 minute. It did so well for me. Several of my Phit-n-Phat friends run this way and I have done a race like that also. I have realized that this is the best thing to do for me. It helps me go at a faster pace during those 4 minutes b/c I know I get to walk for 1 minute and then it is said to help prevent injury also b/c you are just not as hard on your body. I by no means sprint during the 4 minutes but I just jog a tad faster then I would if I had to jog the entire time. So I did the 4:1 on Wednesday and I still finished the 3 miles in 31:30. I need to get over the fact (and I am pretty much there) that there is nothing wrong with walking. You are still crossing the finish line no matter what you do and in a lot of cases as in the 10K that I did in October you cross the finish line sooner than some of those that run at a slower steady pace. Not that anything is wrong with slow and steady and not that anything is wrong with crossing the finish line last. Anyway, you get what I am saying. It works for me and is better for my body so that is what I am going to do.

Comments

Popular Posts